[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form NewPartnership

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 18:48:25 UTC 2005

Gah, I'm finding all this really weird.

1. We need money for servers and bandwidth
2. Currently, it comes from donations but people seem to be saying
that's not sustainable
3. We've had a few big donations, but they could be time-limited (will
Yahoo want their servers back?) and they don't happen often
4. One proposal is a small link to a small tool which probably won't
generate much money, so is no solution by itself
5. There's a few other ideas which show promise, but not a lot in
terms of delivering hard cash
6. Adsense could give us stacks of cash

Surely there's only a handful of logical conclusions here:

1. We stay with just donations (small private and few large coporate
ones) and the site slowly bogs down as traffic demand outstrips server
supply
2. We try more small stuff like the Amazon and the forthcoming 1-Click
experiments, but let's be honest unless WP is plastered in them
they'll never make much of a difference
3. We eventually accept a small amount of Adsense (or Adsense-syle)
advertising on the site, which will most likely pay for what we need.

Dan