[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form NewPartnership

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Oct 24 16:41:27 UTC 2005

Poe, Marshall wrote:
> Just a quick question.
>
> Isn't it the case that Google Adsense (and similar programs) basically
> cut the tie between specific advertisers and specific publications?  As
> I understand it, the ads are dynamically generated by Google--neither
> the advertiser nor the website owner have much say in placement, nor do
> the advertiser or website owner have any contact with one another.
>
> If this is so, it's pretty hard for me to understand how putting Adsense
> ads on Wikipedia pages could ever lead to any of the editorial-influence
> scenarios being described here. Adsense makes the "wall" between
> editorial and advertising that stronger than it already is (and I work
> for a magazine where it is very strong without Adsense).
>
> Best,
>
> Marshall Poe, Ph.D.
> The Atlantic Monthly

I think that's all 100% correct.  There are a number of different issues
associated with partnerships, advertising, and so on, but one area which
I think is really a red herring is the idea that advertisers might be
able to influence Wikipedia content.

There are other reasons to be worried about ads, but with programs like
AdSense, and with Wiki editing, it's essentially impossible for there to
be influence.

--Jimbo