[Foundation-l] Re: Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Mon Oct 24 16:38:14 UTC 2005

Tim Starling wrote:
> The press release, and the text posted by Angela in various locations,
> was certainly not clear on the nature of the agreement, especially
> regarding the rules relating to placement. Accordingly, I've updated the
> page on Wikipedia on the subject, with some help from Jimbo:

Thanks, that's a great deal clearer! As I've mentioned previously, the
initial press release sounded greatly like Answers paid to get their
tool prominently displayed on Wikipedia.

Now it turns out that Answers are simply making a new tool with
advertising, and are giving some of the revenue to the Foundation, and
are asking nicely if we'd put the tool on the Tools page.

Hopefully the lesson learnt from this is that the detail should be
provided right from the beginning, rather than confusingly-worded which
creates false impressions right from the start.

Chris