[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Oct 24 14:36:31 UTC 2005

Chris Jenkinson wrote:
> So, what will happen if someone edits the Tools page (and any other
> pages which reference this 1 click thingy), and removes all references
> to it? Will the Board be restating the link, even if it is constantly
> removed by contributors?

It is a wiki page like any other.  I would find it incredibly strange
and shocking if people did that, why would they?

One point that needs to be repeated over and over and over here is that
the time, manner, and place of any link, even the existence of the link
at all, is a matter for the wiki to decide, like any other.

Now, having said that, I think that it is pretty silly to imagine that
we will have a page of "tools", some of which are proprietary, some of
which are free, most of which bring us no revenue, and *1* which does
bring us revenue -- from someone who has freely given to our community
without asking anything in return -- from someone who proposed this idea
as a way for him to give *even more* to us, and then people are going to
maliciously delete any reference to us.

The message coming from that would be simply bizarre.

I think people need to slow down and think this through before jumping
to strange conclusions.

--Jimbo