[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Mon Oct 24 13:06:43 UTC 2005

> >>Frankly, and let me be blunt, Wikipedia as a readable product is not for
> >>us. It's for them. It's for that girl in Africa who can save the lives
> >>of hundreds of thousands of people around her, but only if she's
> >>empowered with the knowledge to do so.
> >
> > Let me be just as blunt, I think that's a fairy tale and unlikely to
> > happen.
>
> Ok, but that's what I've devoted my life to doing. :-)

Wow, talk about blunt... Anyway, I agree with Jimbo on this one. Yes,
leadership is a huge part of the problem in Africa, but education and
information is the solution to that problem. I'm reminded of the book 1984
here. Repressive governments rely on the the information gap between the
government and the masses. As the education of the masses increases, the
ability of the government to repress decreases.

Anthony