Privacy Protection for Users (was: Re: [Foundation-l] Re: Privacy concerns)

Jean-Baptiste Soufron jbsoufron at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 18:20:50 UTC 2005

Well you can argue that they are wrong, but from a legal point of view,
IP numbers are personal data. I just wrote a piece of paper about all of
this :

http://soufron.free.fr/soufron-spip/article.php3?id_article=103

That may surprise most wikipedians, but from a legal point of view, it’s
impossible to pretend that IP numbers are not personal data. This point
is addressed by point 25 and 26 of 2002/58/CE stating that :

"The data relating to subscribers processed within electronic
communications networks to establish connections and to transmit
information contain information on the private life of natural persons
and concern the right to respect for their correspondence or concern the
legitimate interests of legal persons."