[Foundation-l] Re: Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Oct 23 14:57:09 UTC 2005

Robin Shannon wrote:
> I agree with dan, that straight forward advertising like this
> would be far better than stealth advertising which is what this
> 1-click deal really amounts to.

I don't agree that it is stealth.  The page describing this will
describe the revenue agreement as a _feature_, and I fully expect that a
great many people who choose to download it and use it will be doing so
with the explicit goal of desiring to help the Wikimedia foundation.

That's pretty much as non-stealth as it gets.

It's also 100% opt-in, that is, you can choose to download and use the
tool or not, your choice.  You can even go download the tool from
Answers.com directly, and then they keep all the revenue.

> Mav, for those of us not involved with finance, what are the costs
> assosicated with our growth? Is the only expense that is growing
> hardware/hosting etc, or are there other rising costs?

I'll let mav answer this in detail, but suffice to say, the primary
growing cost is hardware/hosting, but some administrative costs are
growing as well, although at a slower pace.

--Jimbo