[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 23 03:40:39 UTC 2005

--- Dori <slowpoke at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/22/05, Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> > > Promoting a company or product in return for payment is advertising,
> > > pretty much by definition...
> >
> > A link to a tool is not advertising. It is a link to a tool.
> >
> > -- mav
>
> No, it's a paid link (or sponsored as Google might call it) to a tool,
> and a tool that could be used to snoop on people too.

Explain, exactly, how this snooping would occur?

We can't expect reader donations to carry us indefinitely. We need to diversify
our income sources. Partnerships like this, along with other funding strategies
such as grants, are needed to ensure we stay in the black.

BTW, do you have a few extra million dollars laying around to pay for servers
next year? And what about the special projects we would like to fund but can't?

-- mav