[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 19:57:31 UTC 2005

> Yes, but I think mostly because Amazon is under a boycott by RMS for
> their patent policies.

Reading back through posts from that time, most the objections seem to
be about the "slippery slope" - a quite understandable view. It's also
notable that the income from the Amazon was pathetic - it would be
nice if there was some assurance that this 1-Click business might
actually be worthwhile before we try it.

I also note that the recent posts on the wiki are against this idea.
The legal issues are very far from clear, and it's also apparent that
there is opposition to this.

I think it was rather presumptious of the board to "announce" this
without consulting editors first. The board may have "signed up" to a
trial of this, but *we* haven't, and I think the board may well have a
hard time stopping editors removing this advertisting from the site.

Dan