[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 15:54:19 UTC 2005

To answer Gerard's concern ("why only these two sponsors and not others")

I only put two to show how we could feature them. That does not mean others could not be featured as well, Yahoo and Kennisnet being the two obvious ones.
But I did not want to lose my time looking for Kennisnet logo... while I am not certain putting logos in the main page will be acceptable.
So, I want to first test the reactions to the idea of putting their logo on the main page. Quite obviously, it implies us asking ourselves the question
* who do we feature there ?
* for which amount ?
* how long ?

If these questions are too hard to answer, then no logo should be on the first page.

--------------

To answer Dan comments ("there should be an explanation of what the board is at the top")

Why not... I feared it was a bit too boring for the top possibly....
What do other people think ?

To answer Dan comments ("I think the existing front page is quite good, and the oldQuarto material could have it's own page within the site. A lot of thematerial is already very dated, and shouldn't be on the front page.Or just cut out the bits more than a couple of months old...maybe...")

This is correct. As I said in my email, I mostly used some previous content to show what could be done. Obviously, before putting it in the front page, the old content will be removed and archived. Only new content will be left... However, it is very difficult to put new content before it exists... and right now, I do not have a lot of new content to put :-)

I am *waiting* for new content mostly

------------

To answer Dan comments ("I do not think it is a good idea to merge the main page with Quarto")

I would like to be crystal clear about something, and I *really* mean it.

It is my belief there should be information in that website. This information is basically the information which is currently in the Quarto.
As far as I can see it, we have three options
* Option 1 : keep things as they are (ie, Quarto slowly built in meta, then slowly translated, then slowly copied in WMF, only when fully translated)
* Option 2 : move Quarto entirely to the Foundation website and dig it in the website (ie, keep the main page of the Foundation as it is now) (this implies a Quarto no more accessible to most editors and completely hidden)
* Option 3 : merge at least the main features of Quarto in the Foundation website. The main benefits I see is improving the speed at which the information is offered to editors. Giving the information even when not translated. Making it easier to edit the articles as each is independant.

I am not sure everyone realise, but doing Quarto is taking a lot of time. Clearly Sj is no more willing or does not have enough time any more to participate to its edition. It is not a reproach to him, but only a fact. I understand. But I was nearly alone to set up the whole structure of the last edition. I contacted at least 15 people at least one time to get articles done. How many answered ?

Jimbo was suggested twice to add a letter. Nothing was done.
Amongst officers, only one has taken the time to put a text (Delphine).
Only two chapters have added a small report.
I have I believe 4-5 texts from the projects (thank you very much to the editors who took the time to update us, me included :-)).
Not even ONE line was written about the last Wikimania, which I find absolutely of the latest sadness. I think it would not be difficult to the organisation team to draft even a 40 lines reports to give direct links to presentations, to movies, etc... but nothing nothing nothing was done. And *I* will not do it.
I know I would have to write myself the entire general report, as well as a good part of the officer reports if I ever want the issue published.
There is no more update of planning done.
Other editors consider it is enough to put 5 words in the draft page saying "adding information about blablabla". But it still requires somebody to understand what is this blablabla, explore the issue not to write stupid things, and then write the report.

Now, this would not be very bad... if to publish a quarto, all these sections had to be mandatorily filled up. As long as one section is missing, we wait for publishing, ask again to editors, then wait, then ask again, then wait again, then finish writing ourselves a poor and bugged approximated text. And when all is finally done, only then, we can start translating.

Consequently, there is absolutely NO chance a Quarto can be published in less than 6 months.

And I can *not* do that alone.
For one editor who make the effort to write all by himself an article, there are 5 editors we have to contact several times to ask again and again for content.
And 5 others who just put 5 telegraphic words and expect someone else will miraculously do the job. This is just NOT an option.

I raised, I believe, the issue, several times. The last time was really the last.

The change I suggest is at least
* making it easier for people to edit on the spot and be published within a week.
* not blocking the whole information procedure because we are constantly waiting for others to put their own stuff
* allowing an information to be published in a non english language, even though other information is not translated.
* makes the current main page a little bit more alive than it is right now.

So, to make myself very very very crystal clear, there will no more Quarto in the current form, because I am not a cop and I am tired of constantly waiting for people to put information for others. I do not want to ask them over and over and over again. I *intimately* feel that we should inform others, but it seems not everyone is intimately as convinced as I am. So... in the current structure, people have room to put information. But if they do not put information, at least that does not impair others to do so.

I am ready to discuss the current state of my proposal, more stuff, less stuff, different stuff on the main page. Whatever.
But you must *know* that if we keep the *current* structure of the main page and the current structure of Quarto, I will not take care of Quarto any more, either dispersed on meta, or hidden in the website. This is not a threat to push you in a decision, just a bare fact. I do not want to be treacherous here :-)

ant

PS : Now, if you have another solution, please give it. I will fully listen.