[Foundation-l] New project : movies.mediawiki.org?

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Thu Oct 13 07:50:24 UTC 2005

Delirium wrote:

> Paweł Dembowski wrote:
>
>>> When Magnus refers to "WikiVideos", I don't think he means storing
>>> the actual movies at all---rather, creating an online repository of
>>> information about them (as he said, a la WikiData)
>>> -Patrick
>>>

>> Yeah, a free alternative to IMDb. That would be cool.
>>

> Isn't that sort of information appropriate for Wikipedia?
>
> Sure, some sort of more structured information may be useful, but
> that's true of many Wikipedia areas (mountains, biological species,
> chemical elements, etc.).  Currently that's handled by parameterized
> templates, but I can see WikiData being a future solution.

WikiData is indeed to become a repository for database-storable
information, especially that which would have to be manually replicated
on all wikipedias otherwise. Movie data is about the prime example for
this. There is absoluely no need to write the same actor/crew/studio/etc
data into every single wikipedia if one can create an info box with a
simple command (read:template) using information stored at WikiData.

The point is not to separate the information from wikipedia into some
specialized wiki, but to store the information in a structured way at a
central repository, from which every wikipedia can be served. Think
"wikimedia commons for data".

Magnus