[Foundation-l] Authoring on wikijunior : providing private information.

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Oct 8 14:56:37 UTC 2005

Robert Scott Horning wrote:

> In addition, one of the reasons I asked for this information is
> that I intend to do a formal copyright registration on
> Wikijunior books when I send them into print format.

To avoid further confusion, it should be pointed out that this
"copyright registration" is something that only exists in the
United States.  Earlier (before 1978) the U.S. had a copyright
law that required copyrights to be registered, much like patents
work in other countries.  If you didn't register, anybody could
claim copyright to your text.  The registration was not made at
the patent office, but at the U.S. Copyright Office, which is a
part of the Library of Congress, www.copyright.gov

After the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Copyright_Act_of_1976
went into effect on January 1, 1978, copyright is automatically
granted to anybody who creates a work (text, music, software,
etc.), just like it works in other countries.  This opened up a
possibility of doubt about who owns the copyright to a work.
Therefore, the copyright office and its registration is still
available, as a safety measure, but this is a voluntary option.

The article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright
says "In the United States, copyright has relatively recently been
made automatic".  The idea that copyright must be "obtained" is
still very much part of the American way of thinking.  To many
Europeans this concept is as foreign as slavery.

I am not a lawyer.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)