[Foundation-l] Deletion of Wikibooks content by Jimbo

kelvSYC kelvSYC at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 30 03:03:29 UTC 2005

> Some empirical evidence for this:
>  -- The "about" page has never said it is limited to textbooks---
> textbooks are only one part of the list of things that Wikibooks is
> for

And it was greatly opposed by many in the Wikibooks community - when
[[User:Aya]] became a bureaucrat, that was one of the first things
that changed, IIRC (it was this user that put down "anything found in
your library" line).  In the user's critique of Wikibooks, the user
felt that the project was a) too narrow in scope, and that b) many of
its users ignored it.

>  -- Some of the earliest Wikibooks are non-textbook but
> informational books, such as videogame walkthroughs

... which many consider as being inappropriate for Wikibooks and
should be transfered to Wikicities (I happen to be in the opposition,
though).  As a matter of fact, there is a growing movement to either
make Wikibooks a Wikicities clone (by, say, adopting its policies) or
to just move all Wikibooks content to Wikicities.

The fact is that bold moves are needed to clean Wikibooks up, and the
reason that I left the Wikibooks community was that I couldn't see
myself in the new Wikibooks, in whatever shape it may be.