[Foundation-l] Personal Apology RE: Wikibooks

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sat Nov 26 16:53:38 UTC 2005

Mr. Wales,

    Thank you for your apology.  Really.  I am perhaps taking this whole
thing overboard way too much.

    I really do have the best interests at heart with what is going on
for Wikibooks, and what I have enjoyed the most there is actually
sitting down and writing textbooks.  While I've been involved with the
politics of Wikibooks as well, my heart is with trying to write content.
 I believe in that mission, and while I may differ with you on the
philosophy that other content besides strictly textbooks should exist on
that project, I do support the concept of an "open source"
collaboratively written textbook, such as what is happening on
Wikibooks, and elsewhere to a lesser degree such as Benjamin Crowell's
Light and Matter on http://lightandmatter.com

    One of the motiviations that I have had for this project is that I
am the father of six children, and I'm living in a state where the
rising costs of textbooks is being particularly felt locally.  My
children are often using textbooks that are 10-15 years old and have
scribbles in them from almost a full generation of school children,
because the local schools can't afford to replace these books.  There
was one local school that was built brand new, but because the school
district was really stretching it budget for the construction they
couldn't afford to buy any books, either for the library or for the
classrooms, including textbooks.  The ones they finally got were
discarded from another school district that were updating their
textbooks, together with a community book drive for the grade school
library that finally got at least a few books in there.

    One of my goals to be involved with Wikibooks was to try and make
textbooks for children where I am living to be much more affordable.
 There is no reason why a science textbook for sixth grade should cost
60 or 70 dollars, yet they do.  I'm not talking some obscure 3rd world
country, but right here in America where we both live.

    I've also benefited in the past from cheap or free "textbooks" in a
professional capacity as well.  By profession, I'm a software engineer,
and I've had what would best be called an unorthodox educational
experience to say the least to get to the point for where I'm at.  I
picked up much of my knowledge by experimentation on a number of
computer systems that were made available to children while I was
growing up, including on-line technical manuals and early predecessors
to IRC chatrooms.  I had an e-mail address 30 year ago and got my first
piece of spam about the same time.  Using those early systems I was able
to learn techniques and concepts that often my professors in college had
no idea about until after I demonstrated the idea.  I got an "F" from
one professor because he thought I was a smart-ass and because the
professor couldn't get the computer to do the things I made it do.

    I feel I am getting old enough that I need to start passing on the
knowledge that I've gained over the years to the next generation, and
Wikibooks has provided me with a forum to be able to accomplish this
goal.  In the process of learning more about Wikibooks and its
organization, I've also come to know more about the Wikimedia Foundation
and how Wikipedia was started.

    I do want to thank you for starting Wikipedia, and having the vision
to see that perhaps the Wiki concept could be applied to other areas of
human knowledge as well.  I know other people were also involved, but
you have been giving it the encouragement that it has needed as well.
 The early financial backing is also something that I don't think
anybody is going to forget, and thanks for that as well.

    I am going to take a break for now from what I've been doing on
Wikibooks, and scale back my activities.  Still, with your apology and
some retrospect on my part, I'm going to continue to be involved in some
small part.  I've often said that even ordinary users on Wikimedia
projects can do extraordinary things.  I'll try to prove that point by
doing it.

    I'm also sorry that I had to be such a pain in your side.  And I
apologize for the facist comment.  That was made in a moment of passion
and I should have measured my comments that way in a much better tone.
 Dredging up painful memories of an awful world experience 60 years ago
and casting you as a participant of a truly evil group of people was
really over the top, and I promise that I will never do that again.

    As far as the White Nationalism and associated group of Wikibooks is
concerned, I hope you understand that all I'm trying to suggest is that
there could be an interesting Wikibook about the topic, and I completely
agree with your assessment regarding a Neutral Point of View being
essential when presenting things of that nature.  I was an outspoken
critic of that Wikibook when it appeared, and to be honest I don't even
understand the mentality of the people who actually believe that stuff.
 The only point we differ on is how it should be dealt with when content
like that appears, and this is really a very minor point to be arguing
over.  We both agree it should have been removed as it was written, and
I was not willing myself to make it into a NPOV book.  Life is too
short, and I have other things I would rather do.

    I also want to thank you on one point with Wikibooks as well:  There
was a need to "clean house" and get the Wikibooks community to pay
attention to the out right silly books that have somehow been ingrained
within the Wikibooks project.  This whole thing has caused the debate
over what the direction of Wikibooks should be, and I geuninely hope
that Wikibooks becomes a better place.  Looking at things like Alexa
rankings and citations around the internet, Wikibooks is about to really
come out from behind the shadow of its bigger cousin of Wikipedia and
become something truly remarkable.

--
Robert Scott Horning