[Foundation-l] Deletion of Wikibooks content by Jimbo

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Nov 25 16:49:31 UTC 2005

Robert Scott Horning wrote:
> Several of the Wikibooks that Jimbo was complaining about were deleted
> by him with the admin status he gave himself.  That by itself is OK, but
> he did it with a total disregard to the fact that ongoing community
> discussion about the modules is going on, and a complete ignorance of
> what it means to delete a Wikibook in its entirety.  Deleting Wikibooks
> is a very involved process, and removing [[b:Jokebook]] is going to be
> something that will take several hours to complete by a competent admin
> and deleting the front page is only going to make things worse.

No, not in complete ignorance, and certainly not in disregard to
anything.  Indeed, the reason I only deleted the front page was
specifically to make sure that I wasn't doing anything that would be too
difficult to reverse.

> I don't want to get into an edit war with of all people Jimbo himself,
> but this IMHO has gone way too far.  If he wants to serve some sort of
> political agenda and disregard the genuine efforts of the community that
> is building Wikimedia projects like Wikibooks, so be it.  He can write
> everything himself there if he wants to as well.

?  Political agenda?  Do you mean my insistence that a book advocating
white power is not appropriate for any Wikimedia project is a political
agenda?  If it is, I plead guilty.  NPOV is non-negotiable.

> So long Wikimedia and all of the people here.  I have tried.  I hope
> things improve for the better in the future.
>
> I hereby resign my position as admin on Wikibooks and I anticipate that
> I will be banned there as well.  Good luck in the future in ever trying
> to find people to keep this project going.

Why would you be banned?  Why resign as an admin?  I don't really
understand this at all.

--Jimbo