[Foundation-l] A proposal for new language creation

Joanot Martorell joanot at akramedia.net
Thu Nov 24 14:27:53 UTC 2005

2005/11/22, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com>:

> 2.  To discourage the creation of new Wikipedia editions in dialects
> which do not significantly differ from existing Wikipedias.  We want to
> keep from being hoaxed, and from falling into political traps.
>
> For dialects, then, we want to require a much higher threshold before
> allowing the wikipedia -- we need a good reason to start it.  A
> "Bavarian" Wikipedia proposal would need a much much stronger rationale
> before we start it than "German".  Obviously.

This point isn't enough to clarify when whe should or should not create a new
dialect wikipedia, because it's using the unique criteria of interlegibility.
By exemple, Catalan (my native lang) and Occitan are mutually interlegible in
text written, or between Neapolitan and Italian. And for some persons
Portuguese and Spanish are interlegible too, but they are considered as
independent languages. I think that perhaps the point to consider the inclusion
of a new dialect wikipedia would be better moving around the
exclusionist-inclusionist poles.

I mean when you want a new wiki in a dialect with important linguistic
particularities that today are being actually assumed as "proper" of another
language, so you wouldn't need a Wikipedia if there exists a Wikipedia in those
language. In this case, wikimedia should adopt an exclusionist attitude.

But when you want a new wiki in a dialect with particularities wich are being
rejected (or considered as "bizarre", etc.) or aren't assumed as "proper" by
the most nearest languages, perhaps you and your linguistic community would
need a Wikipedia. In this case, wikimedia should adopt an inclusionist
attitude.

Let's see a practical and real exemple. If we see the cases about a new
wikipedias proposals in Murcian and in Andalusian, most people who are opposing
these are Spanish-speakers, but the reasons are different. In the case of
Andalusian, Spanish-speakers opposers are saying that "Andalusian was always
considered as a developed form of Spanish" (that is, the most possible future
form of Spanish language). They are being "inclusionist" with Andalusian
dialect, accepting the andalusian particularities as proper. In opposition of
it, about Murcian, Spanish-speakers opposers are saying that writting "Murcian
is a bizarre/coloquially/speech/deformed Spanish used in Murcia region". It
would mean also that they perhaps have some interlegibility difficulties, and
aren't assuming as "proper" form. So they are being "exclusionist" with
Murcian.

And, according to exclusionist-inclusionist poles, Wikimedia would be able to
have a exclusionist attitude with Andalusian, but being inclusionist with
Murcian. Of course, it's only my own opinion.

Cheers!

Joanot Martorell,
(not real name, but real person)

--