[Foundation-l] A proposal for new language creation

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Nov 24 02:39:42 UTC 2005

Brion Vibber wrote:

>ilooy wrote:
>

>>I'd like to suggest that taking into consideration ISO codes or SIL codes may
>>be one solution. This would mean that an outside group which is well
>>established and has looked into the matter has deemed a certain language
>>important enough to be assigned a separate code.
>>

>This is exactly the policy we adopted several years ago, which has proved
>insufficient.
>
>Relying on existence of ISO codes brings us:
>* split Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian replacing Serbocroatian [controverial]
>* Klingon
>etc
>
>and denies various languages/dialects/whatever which don't have their own codes
>but which are oft asked for.

Clearly we should not rely exclusively on the codes for our decisions,
but they do give a first slice in the decision making process,
particularly if used as an exclusionary tool.  There should still be an
opportunity for those who are excluded to make a case.

IIRC the Ethnologue criterion for including a constructed language is
the the existence of literary works in that language.  They recognize 24
such languages. Yes, there are people with the kind of mentality that
will create a literature in Klingon or Elvish.  A better criterion for
us would be the existence of native speakers.  Another might be to ask
who is the audience for this new language project.  What interests the
readers rather than the writers?  What practical information would serve
them best?  What cultural support will best help their culture?

For the Serbocroatian and other politically charged situations it is
very difficult to avoid the political traps unless you are willing to
say "This is the way it's going to be," right from the beginning.

The other thing that is not addressed is the need for a critical mass.
There are many individuals for whom the challenge is in having the
project in their language approved.  When they win the fight they lose
interest, so for me the two-tier involves a fairly easy hurdle to get a
project started followed by a probationary period where they can prove
that there really is enough interest to keep it going.

Ec