[Foundation-l] Re: New language policy

ilooy ilooy.gaon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:48:00 UTC 2005

2005/11/23, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com>:
> Hi Jay,
> In your analysis, would you consider it a problem if some of the (N)
> native speakers do not have any accounts on any wikimedia project and
> are likely to be sockpuppets ? Or not at all ?

Hi Anthere,
I find it of interest that everytime the
number of supporters increases by one
so does the number of opposers (and
by one at that), and if there is a problem
with sockpuppetry, that it is happening
on both sides.

I feel this is a very politically charged
situation. I only want to add my voice
in support of the right of Andalusians
to have their own voice in this Wikipedia
project. I am not interested in politics
of any sort. And regret the situation
which has developed with the Andalusian
language request.

The matter should be about granting
folks who want to contribute in their
own language to this project the priviledge
to do so, I'm sure you'd agree. And not
about how people are bypassing conventions
on voting practices.

I do not like the sockpuppetry concerning
this request for a new language, but I think
it is indeed happening on both sides, and
not just on this respective language request
but also with others on the same page.

Strong guidelines would alleviate some
of this, but may create other problems.
For example the rule that languages must
have an established standard written form,
it may give guidance in respect to Andalusian,
but it would also mean calling into question
some already started wikipedia languages.

It is definitely not an easy situation. I don't
want to get involved in politics. And I believe
fairness, growth and quality would be the
goal for this project.

With best regards,
Jay B.
[[User:ILVI]]