[Foundation-l] RE:New language policy

pikola Thierry pikola24 at yahoo.fr
Tue Nov 22 13:23:33 UTC 2005

According to the point 2 in
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposed_policy_for_wikis_in_new_languages

the language proposed must have a standard writing
system.

If we approve the creation of Wikipedias such as
Andalusian Spanish, we would create a Wikipedia where
the users will have to create their own standard. This
would be a huge contradiction with the Wikipedia
principle against including original research, because
the Wikipedia itself would become a linguistic
research project in order to ellaborate a standard
written form of the Spanish speech from Andalusia.

Wikimedia community should decide which role new
Wikipedias play on new writing systems creation.

Another problem of creating such Wikipedia is that the
great majority of Andalusian speakers don't feel that
they talk a different language than the rest of the
Spanish speakers. Therefore, Wikimedia would become a
non neutral part on the sociolinguistic discussion
about language identity of Andalusian speakers. If we
create an Andalusian Wikipedia we would agree on the
claim that Andalusian is a separate language from
Spanish.

Another funny thing which should happen is that,
taking into account that latinoamerican Spanish has
significantly evolved from Andalusian Spanish, then,
all the latinoamerican Spanish speakers should learn
this special new writing system used in Wikipedia,
adopting it to their local Spanish variation.
Therefore they should actually be members of the
Andalusian Wikipedia. Then Andalucian will become one
of the largest languages of the world ;oD (half
kidding)

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I really think
that Wikimedia Foundation should take much into
account two points:
Speakers identity and existence of a standard writing
on that language.

I think that Wikimedia should not be active part of
language creation, neither of language identity
discusion.

Thank you,
Javier Carro.