[Foundation-l] Re: new project mailing lists

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Nov 22 11:55:54 UTC 2005

On 11/22/05, SJ <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure exactly what you were responding to above.  My
> suggestion, at least, was not for the new mailing lists to produce
> consensus -- this would come about on the main mailing list once a
> more heated and detailed discussion has been played out on the
> topic-specific list.  I am suggesting that topics which tend to a) be
> quite heated and b) involve the same small set of people over and
> over, should be given their own list for the standard argument-cycle
> to play out; and then can post summaries of that cycle to the main
> mailing list.  When consensus needs to be reached, the whole
> discussion could move to the main list, or better yet a suitable wiki.
>
> SJ

Well, if you're going to obtain organization-wide consensus, then it'd
be a good idea to obtain consensus within a self-selected
sub-committee first.  Of course, that assumes that by consensus you
mean something actually approaching consensus.

It's a good idea in theory, but signing up for and using multiple
mailing lists is somewhat of a pain in the ass, so I'm not so sure how
well it would work in practice.

Anthony