[Foundation-l] Incubator Wiki for New Wikimedia Projects (was Vote to create Wikiversity Vote)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Nov 15 18:04:31 UTC 2005

Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>On 11/13/05, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>

>>>I also don't see why a wiki for game cards or for elementary schools
>>>or for (to use another example) dead people wouldn't make a good wiki.
>>>In fact, at some point or another I've proposed the latter two as
>>>projects.
>>>

>>As far as I'm concerned, whatever we have on these belongs in Wikipedia.
>>We only need bold and courageous action to deal with the deletion madness.
>>

>I probably agree with you.  But there is pretty strong opposition to
>Wikipedia being a phone book, a knowledge base, a geneology website,
>or a memorial website, though I think these all fit clearly within the
>scope of Wikimedia (and in fact much of "What Wikipedia is not" does).
> I seriously doubt the scope of Wikipedia is going to be expanded to
>include these things.

Philosophically I think that an encyclopedia IS a knowledge base, but
that could just lead us into a lot of unsolvable semantic arguments.

There are companies out there that can do phone books much better than
we ever could.  Until Wikipedia came along on-line genealogy was already
perhaps the best self-organized amateur research area on the net.  It
would take a tremendous effort to come up to speed in that area..  We
have had our own 9-11 Wiki, but that has not exactly been a memorial
success.

Ec