[Foundation-l] Incubator Wiki for New Wikimedia Projects (was Vote to create Wikiversity Vote)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Nov 15 17:53:21 UTC 2005

Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>The process to create a new project is far too difficult.  An
>incubator wiki would facilitate that process.  The fact that
>Wikicities is already doing something which you feel has overlap (but
>then later say wouldn't have any overlap), is really irrelevant.

The process should be that difficult.  The impetus for new projects
seems to be more often a reflection of people's inability or
unwillingness to look for compromise solutions;  it has very little to
do with an objective need for another project.

One starts from Wikipedia with its set of fundamental principles.  A new
project should first of all have a motivation based on a variance of one
of those fundamental principles.  The first spin-off was Meta which when
I first joined was promoted as a place where one could engage in POV
rants that could not be allowed on Wikipedia.  Wiktionary was a response
to "Wikipedia is not a dictionary".  Wikibooks was intended for books
(not necessarily strictly *text*books) which required that a subject be
treated with more depth than would be possible in an encyclopedia; I've
always believed that the "No original research" could be a little more
relaxed in a Wikibooks context.

The answer to deletionist controversies should not always be to
establish a new project; it should lie in an attempt to find common
ground.  That's something which a certain cadre of people on Wikipedia
refuses to seriously consider.  I don't know what rules the Wikijunior
people have been violating in Wikibooks, but that is an omnous claim.
It seems to reflect the usual dynamic conflict between those who want
clarity and certainty, and those who treasure innovation as a primary
value.  A project has a serious problem when either of those two gains
dominance.

Once established I believe in the autonomy of the separate projects, but
they still need to have an understanding of where they come from.
Autonomy should not be an excuse for excluding what might otherwise be
allowed, but this is an extremely difficult problem which can only be
addressed with a lot of goowill.

Ec