[Foundation-l] Incubator Wiki for New Wikimedia Projects

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 17:47:49 UTC 2005

--- Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> I brought that up earlier, and I'm really not sure what to make of it,
> because Wikipedia certainly shouldn't be made a part of Wikibooks.  I
> can think of two possible reasons:
>
> 1) Wikibooks is for textbooks, and this should be narrowly construed
> to mean classical textbooks, not to include any learning resources
> such as encyclopedias.
>
> 2) Wikipedia is too big for Wikibooks (combined perhaps with the fact
> that Mediawiki is not sophisticated enough to handle both of them
> under a single project).

Both are true. Also, a collection of articles does not a book make. You can
bind them together and present them like a book, but they will never be
something that somebody is going to read cover to cover in sequence. Articles
are self-contained entities that stand perfectly well on their own. Pages or
even chapters in a book should be part a much larger self-contained work that
itself has a specific goal on where it wants to lead the reader.

-- mav