[Foundation-l] Incubator Wiki for New Wikimedia Projects

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Mon Nov 14 16:59:59 UTC 2005

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 11/13/2005 10:13:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>robert_horning at netzero.net writes:
>
>That  such proposals seemingly never get approval is a reason
>why nobody wants  to throw an idea into that dustpile of ideas and
>instead try to sneak the  projects through a back door like Wikijunior
>has  done.
>

>Excuse me, but Wikijunior was never snuck through a back door. In fact, it
>is probably one of the most relevant projects to Wikibooks in that it is
>developing age-appropriate educational material. As I recall, that was the
>objective of Wikibooks. Looking at it, it seems to have developed quite nicely.
>
>Danny

If it was such a useful project, why didn't anybody follow the New
Project Guidelines, as approved by the Wikimedia Foundation board, for
Wikijunior?  Like I said, it doesn't follow any standard procedures on
Wikibooks, and doesn't even try to be like another Wikibook.  It stands
out from everything else there in part because it is a different
project.  It is even listed in several places as a Wikimedia sister
project, seperate and distinct from Wikibooks.  That is my beef, and in
that respect, yes it was snuck through the back door to become an
independent project.

There is all this talk about how useful Wikijunior is.  There is a
domain for http://wikijunior.org  (try it if you don't believe me).
 There isn't something comparable for Wikicalculus, where the Calculus
Wikibook is available on a seperate domain, nor am I asking for it
either.  The point is that Wikijunior is a seperate project using
Wikibooks as an incubator, and was not started by regular Wikibooks
contributors.  It is also bypassing the New Project Guidelines, which
were established prior to the creation of Wikijunior as well.

--
Robert Scott Horning