[Foundation-l] Incubator Wiki for New Wikimedia Projects

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Mon Nov 14 03:12:56 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>--- Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
>

>> Wikijunior, IMHO, was "forced" upon Wikibooks, and with the plan to
>>turn Wikijunior more into a kids version of Wikipedia, the connection
>>with Wikibooks is far less than what it could have been in the past.
>>

>Wikijunior was no more forced on Wikibooks than any other book on Wikibooks is
>forced onto that community.
>
>-- mav

I guess more to the point, the people who started Wikijunior are no
longer the active participants in the project, and that it seemed to
have been something from the Foundation board that "you must have
Wikijunior here".  Wikijunior was never something like one of the other
Wikibooks  It didn't start as a simple page on Wikibooks and gradually
expand, requesting assistance from the Wikibooks community and trying to
stay within the Wikibooks community.

Instead, Wikijunior started out as an announcement on this mailing list,
a page on Meta that debated all kinds of philosophies and organizational
goals of the project, and plowed into Wikibooks as a full-fledged
project.  It didn't even start out on a standard Wikibooks bookshelf,
but in its own seperate domain within the Wikibooks project, and still
has some significant differences from other projects and books on
Wikibooks.  The changes on Wikibooks to add Wikijunior were very
arbitrary, and decisions made that hardly included any input from the
Wikibooks community in general.

Wikijunior policies are not Wikibooks policies, and the differences
become even more pronounced as discussions like a seperate domain and
even a seperate Wiki for Wikijunior have been thrown arround.  Things
like worries about pedophiles and levels of "censorship" of kid-friendly
content make this even more pronounced as something very different from
a normal Wikibook project.  Things like sticking to only the original
three books and not permitting any new sections to Wikijunior are more
examples of significant policy differences.

Wikijunior is not just another Wikibook on Wikibooks.  If the Wikibooks
community decided to VfD Wikijunior, there would be a torrent of hate
e-mail on this list and elsewhere that would only be equal to what
happened to Wikiversity.  And that would have nothing to do with the
quality of the material but because of the way that the project started.
 Again I add that Wikibooks should not be the incubator wiki, unless
that is precisely the role that the Wikimedia Foundation board wants it
to become.  Wikijunior was added to Wikibooks as if Wikibooks was the
incubator wiki, and it should have been a new project proposal on Meta
instead.  That such proposals seemingly never get approval is a reason
why nobody wants to throw an idea into that dustpile of ideas and
instead try to sneak the projects through a back door like Wikijunior
has done.

--
Robert Scott Horning