[Foundation-l] Incubator Wiki for New Wikimedia Projects (was Vote to create Wikiversity Vote)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Nov 14 01:21:08 UTC 2005

Anthony DiPierro wrote:

> I think we have very different views as to what a Wiki Incubator would
>
>be.  I don't really see the purpose as guaging interest, but more of
>answering questions and building a core community.  In that sense I
>think something like Wikiversity would be perfect for it - yes,
>there's no lack of interest, but there are a number of questions to
>the point where approximately 1/3 of Wikimedians don't even think it
>should be a project.

What I was mostly thinking of was Node's endless proposals for Wikis in
new languages.  Without help from an active controversy those projects
could more easily have a quicker death.

I don't oppose Wikiversity in principle; I just think that it needs a
lot more thinking.

>I also don't see why a wiki for game cards or for elementary schools
>or for (to use another example) dead people wouldn't make a good wiki.
> In fact, at some point or another I've proposed the latter two as
>projects.

As far as I'm concerned, whatever we have on these belongs in Wikipedia.
We only need bold and courageous action to deal with the deletion madness.

>Finally, whatever Wikicities wants to do is up to it.  We're talking
>about a small little site that pretty much no one has heard of.  I
>really don't think it matters what they're trying to do.  Wikimedia
>should make its policies for Wikimedia, and Wikicities can figure out
>how to deal with that.

Agreed.  I have yet to even visit Wikicities.  It just doesn't appeal to
me.  I already have plenty to do without looking for more work.

>Anyway, I can't edit on meta, and you seem to have a much different
>idea of an incubator wiki anyway.  Besides, the idea has been floating
>around for months already.  The cynic in me thinks that the red tape
>to create a project is probably too great, especially a project which
>threatens to "end up being a fork of" Angela's website.

I don't think I want to go there. ;-)
Ec