[Foundation-l] Wikinews is giving out press credentials

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Nov 11 18:41:53 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>--- Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I've made my position clear already - I think the process is fine and
>>that you don't need any more input from the Board. If the rest of the
>>Board decline to comment, I'd take that as silent approval. All
>>members of the Board, if they're at all following what's going on here
>>or in the state of the wiki reports which already explained this, are
>>well aware of the accreditation scheme, and none have objected to it.
>>

>What is not clear is if those people who are accredited have permission to use
>the Wikinews name and logo on badges.

No, it's quite clear that they do.

Consider what would be necessary for the opposite to be true: Could the
Wikimedia Foundation actually win a trademark-violation lawsuit against
Wikinewsies for representing themselves as Wikinewsies using the logo
and name of the project they work on?  I would submit that it is very
unlikely that such a suit would succeed.

This ignores the fact that such a suit would never be filed anyway,
making the entire trademark issue moot.  Trademark law is only as good
as your willingness and ability to file and win lawsuits.

-Mark