[Foundation-l] Wikinews is giving out press credentials

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 17:25:08 UTC 2005

--- Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> > That is a very good point. The policy needs to be rewritten to say that the
> > foundation is not accrediting the individuals, it is just giving those
> > individuals who have gone through a community-run and board-approved
> process
> > permission to use the Wikinews name and logo on press badges.
>
> But you don't need permission to use the Wikinews name and logo on press
> badges.

What? That needs a good deal of explanation. How could somebody legally and/or
morally be able to do that? I just can’t use the name and logo of any
organization I may volunteer for or give money to on badges meant to gain
access.

> Wikimedia and indeed the reporter emself rarely have any control over
> what is printed on a press badge in the first place.

Community created policy will say what will be on the badges.

> And your position is that someone needs the permission of the board in
> order to call themselves a "community approved Wikinews reporter"?
> That's completely out of touch with reality.

That is a absurd mischaracterization of what I’m advocating. The community
controls who can validly say that. What the community does not control is the
use of the Wikinews name and logo in a way that may get the foundation in
trouble.

-- mav