[Foundation-l] Vote to create Wikiversity Vote

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Fri Nov 11 16:56:25 UTC 2005

Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>On 11/11/05, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>

>>Anthony DiPierro wrote:
>>
>>>In any case, I think the project should stay within Wikibooks.
>>>

>>There is certainly no urgency for moving it out of Wikibooks
>>
>>Ec
>>

>There's enough urgency in the minds of some people that it has been
>listed on their VFD page.
>
>Anthony

The main point of the VfD on Wikibooks is to establish for once and all
that Wikibooks is not a project incubator Wiki for new Wikimedia Sister
projects.  Or is it?  That was the whole point of the VfD to debate and
discuss that whole issue, which is an issue that can and ought to be
discussed on a larger basis with the whole of the Wikimedia users as
well.  Most VfD discussions on Wikibooks at least are dealing with
people pushing the boundaries for what is acceptable and what is not on
Wikibooks, and to get a larger community opinion on killing a Wikibook
project.  Some very substantive policy changes have resulted from the
VfD discussions on Wikibooks, for good or ill.

It has been discussed many times on this list as well, and the general
concensus I got from contributors to this mailing list as well as on
Meta was that Wikibooks is not intended to become that Wiki incubator
like Wikicities.  If that is the case, projects like Wikiversity and
eventually Wikijunior need to go.  This also allows Wikibooks to focus
its mission to dealing with non-fiction books (a general community
concensus was reached on that point as well) having a general NPOV
format and developed through a collaborative Wiki process.  How does
Wikiversity fit into that role?  Wikiversity can and ought to be much
more than what Wikibooks is generally restricted to in terms of just
writing books about learning.  There is also a fairly healthy user
community working on Wikiversity that is for the most part independent
of the rest of the Wikibooks community.  Yes, there are users involved
with both, as there are participants from Wikipedia that help write
Wikibooks.  That is a good thing as well.

You have your opinion on the matter, and a general Wikimedia community
poll was taken on the subject with the additional ability to offer
comments on the topic and voice opinions.  The whole point of this
thread is that the poll has happened and now it is time for the
Wikimedia Foundation board to decide based on this very large body of
opinion on the topic covering almost every permutation on the issue.  If
anything, the problem is that many of these written opinions have been
scattered across many places including the Wikiversity page on both Meta
as well as Wikibooks, the voting pages, and the VfD discussion on
Wikibooks, not to mention this mailing list as well.  If you printed all
of this stuff out, you could end up with a book by itself with over 100
pages of just opinions on Wikiversity.

--
Robert Scott Horning