[Foundation-l] Wikinews is giving out press credentials

Jean-Baptiste Soufron jbsoufron at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 15:42:41 UTC 2005

Once again, there is no way Wikinews can issue "press pass" today.

If wikinews wishes to issue some accreditation or whatever, why not... but

As I explain, this should lead the Foundation to become responsible for
the content of Wikinews.

As a lawyer and a journalist, I have the following points to stress out :

First, if these accreditations are denounced as false press pass, the
foundation will be liable in many countries for that. The policy might
well explain that Wikinews does not supercede national laws or whatever,
but national journalist unions will certainly think otherwise and they
can pretty much sue the Foundation for that.

Second, if there is any wrongdoing made by someone with an accredited
pass, the Foundation will now be liable for it. I mean its liability
will come first, even before the liability of the author of the article.
This is a famous mechanism meant to protect journalists : instead of
pursuing them, it is mandatory to sue their editors first. And if we
accreditate people, we will be assimilated to editors, becoming liable
at first.

And this leads to my third and more important point. Accreditating
people will transform the Foundation from being a publisher to becoming
an editor... which means that we will now be liable for any content
written on the website by anyone else.

Are you sure that the Foundation is ready to become liable for anything
written on Wikinews ?

If yes, I think this would be a major change of the Foundation policy.

Jean-Baptiste Soufron, Legal Officer

PS : Also, the name wikinews is not yet a registered trademark and it
should not be said so until its registration actually ended.