[Foundation-l] Help page mirroring and non-GFDL projects

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Nov 10 22:27:47 UTC 2005

Michael Noda wrote:
> As I first started poking around these pages on behalf of a non-WMF
> MediaWiki instance that would also like to mirror Help pages from Meta
> locally, I would appreciate it if the general case of a non-GFDL wiki
> using GFDL help pages could be addressed, and not just the particular
> instance of Wikinews.  Since we're brand-new and haven't chosen a
> license yet, this will influence our direction in coming to a decision
> there.

There is some talk that a public-domain or non-viral free-use-and-
derivatives license would be better for a set of redistributable help
pages, since unlike traditional documentation (eg a separate manual or
book) they are integrated with the user's content.

The current help pages on meta are not really appropriate for
distribution or use, and we don't have any redistributable packages for
them at this time. (Additionally there are several competing
organization schemes, they're mixed with other pages, they aren't clear
who they're targetted for, they use templates outside the help
namespace, they use images with no obvious way how to package them, it
isn't clear what versions they apply to, etc etc.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)