[Foundation-l] Re: checkUser live

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 15:01:07 UTC 2005

Chris Jenkinson wrote:

> Anthere wrote:
>
>> I guess that this policy is approved for now. if you have further
>> comments, please add them in the talk page. I archived all the
>> discussions, if you wish some to be kept on the live page, please move
>> them back.
>

> Can we have some clarifications of "disruptive" (as in "Where the user
> has been vandalising pages or persistently behaving in a disruptive
> way") and "reasonably necessary" and "safety" (as in "Where it is
> reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property or safety of the
> Wikimedia Foundation, its users or the public.") from the Board
> regarding the Foundation's privacy policy, just so that everyone is
> crystal clear about what circumstances this personal information may be
> released?

Hi

I guess that most points you are raising do not really belong to the
checkuser policy proper, but to the privacy policy.

More particular, these points are visible here :
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Privacy_policy#Policy_on_release_of_data_derived_from_page_logs

Maybe this page needs clarification...

> What does "If the user has said they're from somewhere and the IP
> confirms it, it's not releasing private information to confirm it if
> needed." mean?

Well... I live in Clermont Ferrand and published this information
myself. If for some reasons a check is done on my user:Anthere, I can
not complain that it be publicly revealed that the user:Anthere ips are
leading to Clermont Ferrand...

> What does "generally" in "Revealing the country is generally not
> personally identifiable (e.g. "User:Querulous is coming in from the UK,
> User:Sockpuppet is coming in from Canada")." mean?

The problem with releasing data is to allow others to identify a
"person". If my ip is fixed and if I edit under another name, such as
user:antfish, the check will reveal that user:anthere and user:antfish
are editing from the same ip... which could lead to high suspicion that
both are the same editor.

Versus, if it is revealed that user:antfish is an editor with an ip in
France... well, we are only 60 millions or so. This will not publicly
prove I am user:Antfish.

> I'm still not happy with the idea that access to personal information
> can be given to people on the say-so that they will behave. Yes, the
> people who this will be given to are going to be some of the most
> trustworthy Wikipedians there are, but this is *personal information*.
> We should have some kind of legal agreement in place so there are no
> excuses.
>
> Chris

Difficult to do as I understood...
Amongst things we could do for example, is to require an editor with
this type of access to provide his real name (privately) and a valid
email. And have him confirm by email that he read the privacy policy.
Would that be an idea ? Yes ? No ?