[Foundation-l] Wikinews is giving out press credentials

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 16:47:50 UTC 2005

--- Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> They're calling themselves Wikinews journalists, which is what they
> are.

Anybody who works on Wikinews can say that. Yes. This is about a sub group that
wish to say they have Wikinews press credentials as a means to gain access to
press events. That is *very* different.

> It's no different from anyone who has edited Wikipedia calling
> themselves a Wikipedian or a Wikipedia editor, which many people do.

It is very different. They wish to use these credentials and the Wikinews name
to gain access normally only granted to credentialed journalists.

> Surely it would be only be a violation of the trademarks if it were
> being done by people who were not writing at Wikinews?

Not so. They do not have permission to use the Wikinews trademark in a way that
implies they are officially credentialed by Wikinews or Wikimedia. They are
not.

> The community are the ones who approve people - who else would do it?

If  you thought I meant that, then I’m sorry I was not clear. All I want is for
the board to either place their stamp of approval on what is already going on
and help with its administration (such as providing a phone line for people to
check the credentials of people who claim to have them), or stop it the whole
thing completely. The current system for selecting the people who are
considered to have credentials seems to be OK.

> I see this as a means of formally recognising trust within the
> community, not so different from administrator access.

Administrator access only pertains to what the people who have it do on our
projects. Giving people press credentials is *very* different since they will
be using the good name of Wikinews and Wikimedia out in the real world. If they
misuse those credentials and thus the good name of Wikinews and Wikimedia, then
we all get harmed by that.

> I think the Wikinews mailing list would be a more appropriate place to
> continue this so as to get input from the people who have created the
> accreditation systems.

This is an issue of use of trademarks. This list is the best place to talk
about that.

-- mav