[Foundation-l] Vote to create Wikiversity Vote

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Mon Nov 7 15:42:55 UTC 2005

On 11/7/05, Cormac Lawler <cormaggio at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > another. Yes, books need to be used by a university, but a) most
> > universities don't make all their own books, and b) Wikibooks can handle
> > that part of the project without being part of the university (but
> merely
> > working hand-in-hand with the university).
> >
> > If there is enough support for this project to be at all successful it
> would
> > be no problem to start it up as its own organization separate from the
> > Wikimedia Foundation. That doesn't mean it would compete with the WMF,
> in
> > fact the two would likely co-exist quite amicably.
> >
> > The only way I really think it'd be reasonable to expect Wikiversity to
> work
> > as a Wikimedia project would be if this came from the top down, as a
> board
> > mandate. Even then, for Wikiversity and Wikipedia both to truly be
> > successful they would probably have to be run as separate legal and/or
> > economic entities. For Wikiversity to be successful it's going to
> require a
> > lot of money. This is not to say donations, it very well could be
> > self-sustaining, but I bet a lot of Wikipedians are going to want to
> know
> > that their donations are going to Wikipedia and not to subsidize a
> > university. Furthermore, there would probably be legal implications that
> > would necessitate forming a separate entity, especially if the
> university
> > ever wants to be accredited (which I think it should).
> >
> > Maybe I'm just looking too far into the future. Or maybe I'm seeing this
> as
> > a bigger project than it really is. But that's just the way I think. I
> think
> > you've got to set your goals high and plan out the full path too those
> goals
> > early on - not to have everything written in stone but at least to have
> > rough draft of what the future has in store.
> >
> > Anthony
> >

> There was a discussion about Wikiversity on IRC last night, as part of
> the Wikimedia Research Network, details and log of which can be found
> here:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research_Network/Meetings/2005-11-06
>
> I think you're raising some interesting points here - I think what's
> emerging for me is that some people are quite nervous about
> Wikiversity being a Wikimedia project - if it aspires to be an
> e-learning resource. I don't personally see the problem, as long as we
> start small, stay realistic and grow from there, but it is clear that
> more thinking (and probably research) needs to be done. This should be
> collated on Meta, probably on a new page like
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Moving_Wikiversity_forward - please
> feel free to add any ideas to related pages. I think at this stage we
> need practical proposals, but also practical questions.

 Yeah, I'm not sure what the best way is to get a project like this started,
but you probably need one or a small few people really dedicated to making
it happen who all share the same vision. I have my own vision as to what I'd
like to see Wikiversity as, but I don't have the time to really dedicate
myself to the project.
 Anyway, this is part of the trouble with voting on things like this. I
voted no, primarily because I think Wikiversity would do better as an
independent project, but at the same time I don't particularly object to
Wikimedians trying to do it anyway.
 Maybe a more narrow focus to start out would alleviate some of the concern.
>From the project page there are two parts to the project, creating teaching
materials and then using them to teach. The first fits a lot better in with
Wikimedia, and I don't think there would be much if any objection to the
foundation supporting this work. This could either be done on Wikibooks or,
if there is objection from people on Wikibooks, then maybe it could be done
as part of a new project.
 The actual teaching part, I think can wait, but if there are a few people
really dedicated to making it happen they should get together and start
doing it, Wikimedia project or not.
 All just my opinion,
Anthony