[Foundation-l] Wikinews is giving out press credentials

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Nov 7 01:01:38 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>Nobody on that list has the right to use the Wikinews or Wikimedia trademarks
>in a way that would suggest any official status to the passes. Thus those names
>and logos can not be used on the passes without either Foundation or a local
>chapter approval and oversight.

What trademark violation is going on here?  Trademark law only prohibits
commercial use of a trademark for a competing product in the same
market.  It is hard to see what the competing product is, since these
people /are/ the ones creating Wikinews, and it is also hard to see what
the commercial use is.

If I were to make up a nametag calling myself "Wikipedia Administrator",
using the Wikipedia logo, this would not be a trademark violation,
because it is factually correct, noncommercial, and noncompeting.

-Mark