[Foundation-l] Re: Official Positions

Elisabeth Bauer elian at djini.de
Thu May 26 05:15:20 UTC 2005

Tim Starling wrote:
> These official positions are intended for assisting external
> collaboration, and for honour and recognition, is that correct? Rather
> than authority and leadership? Also, people will be allowed to deal with
> external organisations without an official title, on the same terms that
> they do now, won't they? That is to say, although certain official
> positions may carry the power to speak "on behalf of the foundation",
> that won't inhibit other people from doing various external activities
> in aid of the foundation, such as Thomas Koll's WikiReader publication,
> or Erik's collaboration with Kennisnet?

wikimedia is a community project - and as such I see these people's
roles mostly in coordinating work in one field. It should of course not
limit anyone from undertaking anything, it should rather give them
someone to speak to (the past has shown that the three people on the
board doing the work were often a bit overwhelmed with questions, offers
for help/cooperations/approval of such things as the wikireaders etc.).

That's at least how I define my role in this: not writing all press
releases myself, but helping to establish press teams in the projects,
ensure that they are in contact with each other, that they get the
necessary tools for their work, that people get help when they want to
organize a wikipedia presentation at their university etc.

greetings,
elian