[Foundation-l] Re: A license for the Ultimate Wiktionary

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat May 21 20:19:41 UTC 2005

Michael Snow wrote:

> Jean-Baptiste Soufron wrote:
>
>> changing the license of a running project is difficult, but not that
>> much.
>

> I'm skeptical about this claim, as I think it's much easier said than
> done.
>
> Does anyone know of collaborative projects that have actually switched
> licenses entirely, even in the software world?

Mozilla did, and it was a huge project with thousands of contributors.
They basically started emailing people asking for permission to do the
change, raised some publicity so hopefully some people they couldn't
find email addresses for would become aware of the change, and then
started replacing/rewriting code from people who they couldn't contact
or who didn't give permission.

For more, see their relicensing FAQ:
http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/relicensing-faq.html

-Mark