[Foundation-l] Re: Wikiversity

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed May 11 02:02:04 UTC 2005

Delirium:

> To what extent are wikis well suited to any of these
> endeavors?

A very reasonable question. When all you have is a hammer ...

MediaWiki is great for textual content, decent for images, usable for
other files. It is also getting good at structuring content in various
ways (categories, RSS extension). Wikis in general are a powerful tool
to develop simple workflows without having to write applications, e.g.,
I can create something like "Featured article candidates" or "Votes for
deletion" from scratch without being a coder.

This covers much of the content and the process side of Wikisophia, e.g.
I can see how a certification model might be implemented using basic
wiki pages. It does not cover some of the needs for publication (i.e.
peer review), but this is something we're actively pursuing for
Wikipedia already, and my intuition is that the solution (stable
revision flagging) will very likely be similar.

What MediaWiki does not cover is the very large and crucial area of
systematic learning and assessment.  Its interaction capabilities are
also somewhat limited, though probably sufficient in the early stages of
the project. This is an area that is currently staked out by modular
learning management systems like [[Moodle]], which allow you to use many
different pedagogical tools for any particular course.

Consequently, we also lack support for standards in the eLearning field,
most importantly probably [[SCORM]], which are currently used to
exchange instruction files in the eLearning community. Obviously, this
makes it very difficult to get people from that community involved.

I am just at the beginning of the technical needs evaluation for
Wikisophia, which will take several months at least. But my current
belief is that we either need to interface with existing eLearning
systems or, an approach which I generally prefer, add some of the
desired functionality to MediaWiki (possibly as extensions) and turn it
into a serious competitor for Moodle.

I am strongly opposed to launching Wikisophia before its technical needs
are fully evaluated and, to the extent which is necessary for the basic
operation of the project, met.

Erik