[Foundation-l] Wikiversity

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 15:36:51 UTC 2005

>--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I fear I must say the name wikiversity does speak much more to me, and
>> wikisophia is confusing. I am not very keen on this name change.

>OK - given that along with the other objections, I now withdraw my weak support
>for the name change. All we need to do is say, up front, that we will not limit
>Wikiversity to college level and above courses; that all levels of learning
>will be allowed.

>We should also invest in getting those security concerns for WikiTeX addressed.
>Not to get a domain name, but because it makes sense to do so in light of the
>very strong desire in users to have this functionality.

>-- mav

Hmmmm

Wikielearning might be a solution. E-learning has the benefit of being a rather framed word at least...

I must confess I did not give any feedback to Erik on the (short) naming discussion... essentially because it is unclear in my mind what the project is exactly about. And...  I thought Erik was asking first our opinion on the matter, then the discussion would come on the list... and I would have the opportunity to better make up my mind... or not make it up depending on people reaction... :-)

This said, aside from any naming issue...
*naming* should really be one of the *last* issue when thinking to create a project. Humm, with logo :-)
Most projects-to-be have a little temp name for a while.

It seems that we could let the envelop issue for later and discuss the core of the fruit first. It does not matter right now if we keep the working name later or change it really. What is potentially problematic is that giving a name to a project tends to set a delineation of it. If the delineation is not agreed upon, this is calling for troubles.

So, what is very important is first to agree on the project itself... what this project is about... who will be the audience... what the goals are... the means required...

It seems not everyone is in agreement about what the project is about... I am not sure I understood well where the disagreement is and I would love to hear more about it. *Before* any vote of any sort. Vote should only be the last resort.

ant