[Foundation-l] Only non-commercial re-use od Wiki content?

Jean-Baptiste Soufron jbsoufron at gmail.com
Fri May 6 09:55:50 UTC 2005

> On 5/6/05, Jean-Baptiste Soufron <jbsoufron at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Once again, many legislations forbid that authors put their work in
>> PD.
>>
>> Why ? Because publishers would be very happy to force them to do so !
>> It's a protection for authors.
>
> Certainly not. A publisher would not want an author to put their work
> in the PD, because it means that any other publisher can republish the
> work without charge. A publisher would prefer to make publication by
> others either illegal (by taking over the copyright) or otherwise as
> restricted as possible. Public Domain would be the full antithesis of
> that.

I agree with you, but that is the justification for the French law
stating that French authors cannot let trash their author's rights in
order to avoid economical pressure from publishers.

>> So, chosing PD as a basis is a major legal flaw that will give
>> wikinews
>> team a lot of headaches... and that will make me very busy on irc :)
>
> In my opinion, PD in that case should simply be taken to mean "the
> author grants everyone unlimited rights to do as they please."
> Which, by the way, is indeed impossible in the law of certain
> countries. I as a Dutchman for example cannot sign away my right to
> object to the material being published under another name than mine,
> or to mutilation of the work in such a way that it is damaging to my
> honour or good name as the author.

Same thing in France. In that case any French author writing on
wikinews could try to sue anybody using wikinews content.