[Foundation-l] Only non-commercial re-use od Wiki content?

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri May 6 04:32:21 UTC 2005

Jack Lutz wrote:
> If Jimbo's proposed requirement of having the contributor grant their
> copyright to Wikimedia is instituted,

I have never proposed any requirement like this.

> then wouldn't this prevent
> importing *any* CC-WIKI/other content without having the original
> authors agree to these unique terms?

No, if the license is a CC-BY and not CC-BY-SA style license, then it
would not.  It is true that copyleft doesn't play nicely in most cases
with other licenses.  But for Wikinews, there seems to be pretty strong
sentiment against using a copyleft license for various reasons that
strike me as valid.

--Jimbo