[Foundation-l] Re: Ogg Vorbis versus Chinese Wikinews

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon May 2 06:50:51 UTC 2005

Dovi Jacobs a écrit:
> [...]
>
> For details, see http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Sound#File_formats and http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2004-July/011514.html.
>
> When it comes to the Chinese Wikinews, however, the Wikimedia Foundation has not stood up (so far) for free content.
>
> Here the problem is not "free beer" but "free speech." To dely or deny setting up *any* Wikimedia project because of the fear or threat of censorship is something that the Foundation should be ashamed of. This is not a "community" issue, and to call it such is to misrepresent the problem. This is an issue about the fundamental policies of Wikimedia.
>
> Do we really believe in free speech? Or is the only policy Wikimedia really cares about one of "free beer" (i.e. in the case of Ogg Vorbis, the legal technicalities of open source software)? Open software is terribly important, but it is no more important that providing an outlet for people to write free news stories in Chinese.
>
> Far more than enough users have already requested the Chinese project. See http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Start_a_new_edition#Chinese.28zh.29. Some are mainland Chinese, others are part of the Chinese diaspora numbering tens of millions, people who have no worries about government censorship. All have been jointly denied, up to now, a useful project, only because of fears of censorship.
>
> Are those fears justified? Perhaps. But the more relevant question is: Even if the fears are justified, does that allow Wikimedia to be untrue to its value of "free" projects (which includes "freedom of speech")? Furthermore, because *some* Chinese users fear censorship, should the project be delayed or denied to all?
>
> This is also an issue of power. Yes, power. Do we believe in our own strength? Wikimedia has become, quite unexpectedly, a very well-known, well-respected, and influential organization all over the world. That means that even if the threats censorship are real, and even if there is some censorship in the short term, there is every reason to believe that such censorship will not stand for long. Just as blocking was lifted from the Chinese Wikipedia, it will be lifted, eventually, from Wikinews. The Chinese government will not be able, for long, to justify its opposition to Wikimedia projects. But we have to believe in ourselves, and in the fundamental value of free speech.
>
> To conclude (and I apologize for this being so long), Wikimedia today is a project that is "free" as in free beer. But as long as Chinese Wikinews is delayed or denied, Wikimedia is *not* free as in free speech.
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation must take an absolutely clear, non-negotiable position that the fear or threat of censorship will not be allowed to interfere with any existing or proposed Wikimedia Project. "Free speech" is no less important that "free beer."

You make a very good point and I thank you for your very clear mail.

There is a little thing disturbing me in your argumentation.
You explain Jimbo took the good decision with regards to the use of
.ogg, while hinting that if a vote had taken place, it is likely MP3
would have been accepted. You consider then that Jimbo or the Foundation
  had to take *this* decision, because it was a fundamental one. Hence
to be taken, whatever the position of the community on it.

As you say "This is not a "community" issue, and to call it such is to
misrepresent the problem. This is an issue about the fundamental
policies of Wikimedia."

However, you also argue that till now, many chinese have asked for the
wikinews and that we are denying them a useful project. So... you fall
back on an argument based on user request...

This is a tricky issue. Either we consider it fully a fundamental policy
and the fact part of users support and part of users oppose the creation
should NOT be taken into account... or we decide it is important, but
require clearer community support. Not so easy to all agree on what
should be done :-)

ant