[Foundation-l] Development tasks and project needs (was: Positive discrimination related to smaller communities and projects)

James D. Forrester james at jdforrester.org
Tue Mar 29 00:34:33 UTC 2005

On Tuesday, March 29, 2005 1:15 AM, Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com]>
wrote:

> --- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:

[Snip]

> > However, I have offered in the past to act as a development task
> > coordinator for the Wikimedia Foundation, and that offer still
> > stands.
>
> For what it is worth you have my support. :)

Mine, too, very much so, though that's no doubt worth much less. ;-)

> > Such a task coordinator would prioritize tasks, maintain contacts to
> > potentially interested sponsors, and make recommendations on
> > spending a certain part of our internal budget on development
> > tasks. He would write the basic specifications, try to locate
> > interested developers (both by inviting them directly, and by
> > having public calls for tenders), watch over the implementation,
> > and decide whether it meets the specs (together with the Board and
> > the MediaWiki Release Manager, Brion Vibber).
>
> Sounds more like a Chief Technical Officer to me.

Chief Software Co-ordinator, perhaps? CTO suggests a hardware role as well
(unless that was meant to have been included in the suggested scope, but I
don't think it is).

> If we can't pay you to do this, then you might as well have a nice
> title to put on your resume.

Agreed. :-)

[Snip]

Yours,
--
James D. Forrester -- Wikimedia: [[W:en:User:Jdforrester|James F.]]

Mail: james at jdforrester.org | jon at eh.org | csvla at dcs.warwick.ac.uk
IM  : (MSN) jamesdforrester at hotmail.com