[Foundation-l] german wikiquotes

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 22:09:29 UTC 2005

> >On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 09:45:30 +0100, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What EXACTLY does the law in these countries say?

According to the Japanese Copyright Law, a fair quotation (公正な引用)
should fulfil two conditions:
1) quotation should be shorter than the text of the author who makes that quote
(so here the current Wikiquote style can't filfile this condition.
There is almost no "background" text for quotations)
2) quotation should be used in a context which has necessity to make that quote

and there is a court sentence for a mere quotation book of copyrighted
sources without permissions of copyright holders; the publisher of
this book was judged as copyright law infringement.

> Laws may very well restrict our activities, but there should be no
> obligation to interpret them in the most restrictive way.

There is already an established analysis by the court and I have no
intention to attempt if we have a different luck. There are many
quotation sites on the net but anyway they are non commercial use -
under GFDL the situation is different, if I understand correctly.

> When a particular law gives a ridiculous result, that is the time to see if
> there are legal arguments available for interpretations that are more
> favorable.

Do you think we have already attempt it? And I don't think it is not
rediculous - Wikiquote in the current style can't be sufficient both
conditions Japaense law demands obviously. In other words, to correct
quotations of copyrighted stuffs as bunchs of quotations without no
contexts, at least under the Japanese law, we need to get permissions
from each copyright holders. Or It seems to be a violation of right of
editing, a sort of derivetive works in this context.
--
Aphaea@*.wikipedia.org
email: Aphaia @ gmail (dot) com