National chapters (was Re: [Foundation-l] UK Wikimedia Foundation notes)

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Mon Mar 28 18:12:50 UTC 2005

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales (jwales at wikia.com) [050329 02:15]:
> David Gerard wrote:

> > Things to watch out for: local foundations being used for nationalist
> > POV-pushing.

> This is one of the reasons it is so important to work very hard from
> the start to make sure that chapter organizers understand that they
> are not taking control of a particular language wikipedia.

One that springs to mind: ownership of essential servers would need to stay
with the central Foundation, not with local chapters.

> Chapters are going to be a major part of what we're doing going
> forward, and we have to be *extremely* careful *now* to make wise
> decisions that lead to global harmony rather than nationalist rivalry.

Why are sr:, hr: and bs: still separate wikis, despite the languages being
barely different than British and American? (And Cantonese still hasn't got
a wiki ...)

(I can guess the answers: they're called separate languages for obvious
local political reasons, and the participants have no interest in merging
them.)

- d.