National chapters (was Re: [Foundation-l] UK Wikimedia Foundation notes)

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sat Mar 26 11:02:12 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:

> Having robust datacenters around the world - each supported by the national
> chapter in the nation it is in - also helps to ensure uninterrupted service and
> longterm viability of what we are doing.

It should take a lot less of a server to serve in read-only mode. I hope.

> Just leave out the word 'foundation' from the UK chapter name, and I'll be
> happy (it would be needlessly confusing). 'Wikimedia UK' sounds like a great
> name to me. :)

Ah, OK!

> I recently registered wikimedia.us for a future Wikimedia U.S. (or Wikimedia
> USA) chapter and saw that the .org.uk was available - now it is not. I hope
> somebody we know and who likes us registered it...

It appears to be registered to one "James Forrester". <s>Looks a bit dodgy
to me ...</s>

> I envision four major core areas that national chapters would be well-suited to
> tackle:
> 1) Supporting a local datacenter (just a squid farm first, but later a full
> datacenter with database slaves receiving updates from the live master in
> Florida but fully capable of becoming their own master if needed for whatever
> reason).

A good reason to accumulate money in the short term.

> 2) Directing social energy into improving Wikimedia projects. A club system
> would be set-up under each chapter where a club would cover a metro area. Club
> members and different clubs would periodically gather and have WikiJam sessions
> at libraries, museums, national parks, universities, places of historical
> interest, etc.

Yep.

> Imagine a small army of Wikimedians with digital cameras and PDAs descending
> into one of these places to extract each available bit of information.

Imagine every notable object in the middle of London being photographed,
uploaded and written about.

> Impromptu WikiJams to cover events in the club's metro area would be very
> useful for Wikinews. I think the fun we have from collaborating online will
> also manifest itself as we gather data together in the real world.

Oh, very good!

> 3) Distribution and popularization of Wikimedia projects within that nation.
> 4) Also important would be helping the Wikimedia Foundation gather the
> resources and help it needs to further the goal of bringing free knowledge to
> the world. National chapters would be better-suited to work with their nation's
> governments and large companies to help make this happen.

Yep.

> This would allow the Wikimedia Foundation to concentrate on international
> issues and coordination - esp getting free content in the hands of people who
> do not have access to the Internet. Under this system, grants (including those
> from and through chapters - see point 4) will likely one day supplant direct
> donations as the major source of funding for the Wikimedia Foundation since
> most donation money from readers will go to national chapters (yes, including
> Wikimedia U.S.).
> This bottom up approach appeals to be greatly.

It will also give people a greater sense of ownership of the project.

Things to watch out for: local foundations being used for nationalist
POV-pushing.

- d.