[Foundation-l] Starting a 'wiki' site

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 09:18:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:38:27 +0300, Marc Colbeck <marc at colbeck.ca> wrote:
> I'm interested in chatting with someone who has set up a wiki site.

The MediaWiki  mailing list is best for this, since that is aimed at
people using MediaWiki on their own sites. See
<http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l> to subscribe.

> I don't know a lot about how to get the
> software onto a server, how to work at the administrative level with it (ie
> creating pages, etc) and how much time/work is involved.

There are a lot of wiki hosting companies that would do this for you.
There's a list at
<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wiki_Science:How_to_start_a_Wiki#.22Hosted_wiki.22_and_Wiki_hosts>

> I'd like to get back to my dream of a website by paramedics for paramedics.
> The wiki software looks just perfect
> for that, however, I wouldn't mind being able to have some banner ads to
> help cover server costs.

You can download the software from <http://mediawiki.org> and
customize the skin to add adverts if you want since it is open source.
However, I would recommend that you consider putting your content at
Wikibooks instead. There are already a number of medical books at
<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Category:Medicine>. See
<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Emergency_Medicine> for example.

Angela

--