[Foundation-l] Starting a 'wiki' site

Marc Colbeck marc at colbeck.ca
Fri Mar 25 08:38:27 UTC 2005

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in chatting with someone who has set up a wiki site.  I'm
interested in opening one up, but I don't know a lot about how to get the
software onto a server, how to work at the administrative level with it (ie
creating pages, etc) and how much time/work is involved.

If anyone is willing to answer a few questions, I'd appreciate it.

I've owned paramedicine.com since about 95 and it used to be a huge site -
then my kids were born and I didn't have the time to do all the work.  Now
they're getting a bit older, and I'd like to get back to my dream of a
website by paramedics for paramedics.  The wiki software looks just perfect
for that, however, I wouldn't mind being able to have some banner ads to
help cover server costs.

Is that OK?  Can you use the wiki software to make a site and then have ads
on it and income?  If not, is there a way to run a wiki site of your own
(i.e. paramedicine.com) on the wiki server for free?

I know ... maybe I'm dreaming, but I'm still learning about wiki.  Thanks
for any answers.

Marc

Marc Colbeck, BHSc
Critical Care Paramedic