[Foundation-l] Re: what is partnership ?

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 06:49:39 UTC 2005

Michael Snow a écrit:
> Neil Harris wrote:
>
>> The content belongs to its original copyright owners, and increasingly,
>> the Wikimedia Foundation is their official copyright agent.
>

> Please avoid statements like this, as they are potentially misleading.
> While it is theoretically possible that at some point in the future, the
> Foundation might take legal action against people who misuse content
> taken from Wikimedia in violation of the licensing terms, contributors
> do not assign their copyrights to the Foundation, and the Foundation
> does not assume a duty to protect these rights. The sense in which the
> Foundation is an official agent for copyright issues (actually the agent
> is Jimbo personally) is with respect to third parties who have
> complaints about their copyrighted material being infringed by use on
> Wikimedia projects.
>
> There is some language in [[en:Wikipedia:Submission Standards]] about
> appointing the Foundation as an agent for downstream copyright
> compliance issues. That page is a draft, most of it now more than a year
> old, and has never been adopted as official policy. As things currently
> stand, contributors have every right to enforce their own copyrights
> against outside parties as they see fit, and don't need for the
> Foundation to get involved.
>
> --Michael Snow

Copyrights are not the only issue.

Now, there is no doubt that just blanking a page can be done by anyone.

In case there is a request to permanently delete some versions in the
history of an article, only developers can do it.

But developers being volunteers, they can just decide they do not feel
like doing it.

In this case, suppose some one request a history is deleted. No one does
it. The one doing the request goes to the tribunal and show he informed
the website owners of the issue and nothing was done to fix it.

What will happen ? Is the site owner still responsible, even if he can
not technically fix the issue ? Or is the fact he asked developers to
fix it and nothing was done enough to assume he acted in good faith
rather bad faith toward the request ?

In case you need a practical example, see my request on wikitech, and
the fact it will possibly not get done.

What is the next step ?