[Foundation-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Re: [Fwd: Kennisnet will underwrite/pay for the creation of Wikidata and the Ultimate wiktionary]

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 00:11:07 UTC 2005

Hoi,
All discussion on the WikiData proposal is explicitly welcome. When you
are interested in cooperating in the development of WikiData, you are
more than welcome to do so. With the details of the RFC you find the
likely timetable will be. When you are interested in helping in the
development of the project you are more than welcome.

The part where the GEMET database will be implemented in the Mediawiki
software is included because the design and the data of this database
can both be used based on the GEMET data that can be found here:
http://www.eionet.eu.int/GEMET. This is a big important body of work
and already has data in 20 languages, it will allow us to add content in
any and all other languages and it is included because it will give us
the opportunity to experiment with the user interface. The current GEMET
database does have XML data available and we are hopefull that we will
find people willing to help with an XML import and export module.

The development as outlined in the plan is what will be done. With more
people working on the project we will be able to get better
functionality. It is a project that is part of the Mediawiki environment
and as such it is open for colaboration.

By not commenting before the deadline the project will start on the
given date. By commenting before the deadline the project may start a
week later if the comments make this a necessity. At all times comments
are invited.

Thanks,
    GerardM